Friday, March 26, 2010

Jonathon - It’s not always about you!

Little Jonathon

Well, we officially have a teenager in the house. Even though he just barely turned 13 on Tuesday, we have been experiencing teenage behavior for a while now. In my opinion, teenagers (well, at least Jonathon) think the whole world revolves around them. Steve and I can not have a quiet conversation without Jonathon asking what we are saying about him. If I get after the kids for not cleaning up, Jonathon gets mad because he thinks I am speaking directly to him. If we make any plans, go anywhere, do anything, we have to make sure that it’s all right with Jonathon first. He even thinks that all phone calls are either for or about him.

This week, however, was actually all about Jonathon.

Last Friday kicked off his Magical Birthday Weekend. I’m not sure how many times I heard him say that he didn’t have to do something because it was his Magical Birthday Weekend. Steve even wondered if we should ban the whole magical weekend thing between the ages of 12-18. I’m not sure if we need go that route, but we will have to make some adjustments for the teenage years.

Friday was spent at another friends birthday party and on Saturday he went to see Diary Of a Wimpy Kid with his friend. This meant that we lost our babysitter for the whole weekend – Oh the sacrifices we make for our kids! Tuesday was his actually birthday and so I took him down to Salt Lake to a book signing at Desert Book. We bought the 5th book in the Fablehaven series and got it signed by the author. This was exciting for Jonathon, but for me, and Henry, and Jack, it was a long wait in line. Now I have to decide if I should read the Fablehaven books, or the Percy Jackson series first – any thoughts?

DSCN1012

I swear this picture is almost the same as last year. He wanted the same ice cream brownie cake as the last two years. I don’t care though, because it’s the best. I invited neighbors over so there wouldn’t be any left over to pig out on the next day.

DSCN1022

This week was also the Regional Science Fair. So we went to BYU to set up on Wednesday and then Jonathon presented his project on Thursday. There was an awards ceremony that night too. I am truly amazed at the amount of talent and imagination kids have these days. Jonathon didn’t win anything, but our neighbor McKay took second place in his category. So way to go McKay!

When I think about how fast the last five years have gone by, I get worried that the next five will go even faster, and he will be 18 before I know it. Jonathon is my best helper even though he complains the whole time. I can count on him to do a good job babysitting when I need to go somewhere. He does good in school and I don’t have to badger him about doing his homework. I know he is a lot like me when I was his age and I love to see how he copes with the challenges of daily life. He makes me proud to be his mom.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I'm glad we aren't the only ones with a "teen-ager" in the house.

Jonathon is a good kid. And you are a good mom to do the book-signing thing!

I vote for Percy Jackson, because that's what I want to read first.

HK said...

I can't believe how grown up he looks!! It's fun having a teenager, isn't it. Well, most of the time!

I vote for Fablehaven. They are both really really good, though.