Sunday, June 22, 2008

Strawberries, Tomatoes and Squash, OH MY!




For the first time ever, we have planted a vegetable garden!

Before we planted, we consulted many friends and neighbors, seeking their advice. Since everyone had a different way of doing things, we decided that you pretty much have to just dive in and plant some things and see how they turn out. Then next year you do it again and apply what you have learned.

So we just threw everything into our garden box and hopefully everything can grow together in harmony. We have 20 Strawberry plants, 4 Goliath Tomato plants, 2 White Pumpkin plants, 1 Zucchini plant, and a mystery pumpkin plant that Libby brought home from preschool last month. We finished everything off with a border of Marigolds, because the lady at the nursery said they would keep critters away while giving the garden some color.

I hope she knew what she was talking about, because she also told me to plant the strawberry plants 6" apart, and after we planted them we read that they should have been 24" apart. So I hope we don't have a giant tangle of strawberries to keep under control. I will try to remember to let all of you know how everything turns out.

2 comments:

Monson Family Fitness said...

I wish I could plant a garden, but there is no where to plant one at our apartment! Good thing I just make my Mom plant extra for me! Good luck with yours...I bet it will turn out awesome!

Natalie said...

How fun! It looks beautiful! I didn't know you're the cubmaster! I'm actually a cub scout leader too- be sure to post all of your fun ideas so I can copy-cat you!