Sunday, October 19, 2008

How long does it take to drive to Phoenix?


We just got back from a quick trip down to Phoenix. We have pretty much been in the car since Wednesday. Six hours to Vegas - Stay the night at my Sisters house - Get up early - Six more hours to Phoenix - Delighful visit with Steve's family on Thursday and Friday - Back in the car to Vegas on Saturday - Home Sunday.

I wish that we all could have big comfy car seats like Henry.


As crazy at it was to sit there for hours on end doing nothing, I have to say that my kids were pretty well behaved for most of the trip. We did find out that Henry can scream louder than the girls when he wants more cookies. Also, Dramamine is a great drug not only for quelling that nausiating car sickness, but for mellowing out your hyper 7 year old.

The highlight of our trip happened when Steve was so anxious to finally get out of the car that he jumped the curb in the Hotel parking lot and popped our front right tire. He claims that he didn't see that the curb jutted out, but I wonder if he thought that the bushes were planted in the asphalt? As annoyed as I was about the whole thing, I just had to be thankful that it didn't blow while we were in the middle of nowhere.


If you have never made the drive, you are missing out on some beautiful scenery - also, some of the ugliest desert landscapes ever. I was not very good at taking photos along the way. Mostly because Steve didn't really feel like stopping very often to take pictures of sage brush. I don't think it would have made a difference, because most of the pictures I did take just don't look that great. Some things just need to be seen in person.

One of my happiest moment on the way home was this sight


YAY! we're almost home

How nice it is to be home and sleep in my own bed, and not have to worry about the kids breaking something at someone elses house, and not have to go anywhere in the car for a long long time.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I love coming home to my own bed! Sounds like you guys had whirlwind trip. Welcome back!

Jessica said...

You are brave! Glad to have you home.